Monday, December 3, 2012

Below My Feet

I've been writing this post for several days in my head, but today was the first day that I've had time to actually write it. I've thought about theme of this post for a lot longer. 

The theme that you maybe wondering is about the notion of grad school and how it changes who you are.  The chosen title of this blog is actually a song by Mumford and Sons, and I think it fits perfectly. So, often these past few months, I've found myself questioning a lot of things in my life and the future. Likewise, my friends here have had similar moments where we questioned our decision to be here, the program, the future in terms of internships and job, and how we have changed. 

I'm not going to lie. There have been times this semester where I wondered what it could have been liked if I accepted a few of the job offers I received or applied to some of the other ones that I had received. Instead of taking out a massive amount of money for two years, I could have been making a relative amount, enjoying a job, and being able to travel and experience life on the side. But then, I stop myself. That is nonsense speaking. I wanted to go to grad school. I still want to be in grad school. And, I don't think I would have been happy working straight out of college. Maturity wise and prior experience from internships yes, but overall readiness, I don't think I was that person in May. 

And, yes, if you are wondering if I ever wondered what it would be like if I had gone to law school, I have never regretted that decision. Talking to friends currently in law school as well as several close friends who recently graduated in May, I knew I would be miserable. 

Since graduation, I believe I have really changed. I've become mature. I've changed my outlook on life, working post this program/additional years of school, and just the general feeling of how a day will go. LSE has given me plenty of stressful periods, but the truth is I love it. I love having that feeling when I wake up in the morning and actually look forward to classes. Sometimes at Syracuse, as much as I love my alma mater, I didn't enjoy going to classes. When I started grad school, I dreaded econometrics. Now, I look forward to it, and am reading a political campaign book that involves the use of those ideas. And, you know what, I love it. (And yes, I know I've now said the word "love it" many times in one paragraph).

The title of this post involves the title "beneath my feet" because I think its important to remember that even if you feel a moment of confusion or sometimes wonder if this is the right decision, it is. I think I'm an example of sometimes questioning future decisions as I'm a planner. In the end, though, I know I made the right decision, and in the future, I know whatever decision I make, I will be happy with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment