Sunday, January 13, 2013

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood...

Obviously, I should have done a neighborhood post last semester. I often found myself taking photos of things in Ladbroke Grove/Notting Hill, but never seemed to post them into a coherent blog about where I live. Of course, there were my numerous trips to Portobello Road, and the time that I did the Notting Hill, the Movie, walking tour

Anyways, since I arrived back in London a few days prior to the new term starting, I figured that a quick jaunt around snapping some photos was a perfect way to spend an afternoon. I actually keep finding info out about where I live all the time.

Nido Notting Hill
For those who don't know, I live in private student accommodation in Ladbroke Grove/Notting Hill area. It's been a great place to live so far- all inclusive, security, gym on site, and my own studio! It's situated right along the Grand Union Canal which is linked to all of the other canals in London (Little Venice, etc.). 

My building is on a side street off of Kensal Road. Kensal Road has quite the history of change. The neighborhood has gone through a lot of revitalization in the past 30 years or so following a "rough" period post WWII. Nevertheless, it's turned itself around. Time Out recently published an article about the area that you can check out here: Kensal Road

The road is now home to the Dock restaurants, the HQ for Innocent (yummy smoothies!), and a lot of smaller shops that have recently opened. And yes, if you read the article, it appears we have a few celebrities in the neighborhood. Time to get the cameras out in case I see them!

About a five minute walk from me is a jumbo Sainsbury's where I normally get my groceries for the week. I say jumbo because it takes me a good hour to do a real good shopping trip for how much they carry in addition to food.


I live past the Ladbroke Grove Tube Station. I haven't really checked out that part of the neighborhood except for the fact it's right near where Portobello Road is! It's got a tube station that has both the Hammersmith and City lines and the Circle line. Not the most ideal lines to get places, but it is helpful sometimes.


To get to Ladbroke Grove and beyond, especially when I'm on my way to class, I have three main bus options. The 52, 452, and 23 are my busses that I continuously take. They all run the same path up until 23 heads straight into Queensway rather than Notting Hill Gate. The only good thing besides the long journey with route 23 is that it stops right outside of LSE. With 52 and 452, I generally take them up to Notting Hill Gate and get on the Central Line.  It's nice to have the three bus options because sometimes in the morning they are a bit crowded with school children!



The area around the Notting Hill Gate tube station is home to my daily activities. I generally come home from class via the tube and then grab the bus back down to where I live.  There are a few other grocery stores that are up along the main road which I go to if I am in a jam or want to change up a routine. Among the stores in Notting Hill are a few celebrity restaurants such as Recipease by Jamie Oliver which is also a food store.  And yes, if you are wondering, there are two Starbucks which I frequent quite  a lot.


I've enjoyed living in Notting Hill/Ladbroke Grove these past few months, and I look forward to the next seven months as well. There is always something to do here from the market to the history to the people watching from inside a cafe. There is never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment