Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Settling into a Routine

Apologies for the delay in posting. As you can imagine now that the semester has started, my hours of free time to blog, watch my favorite television episodes, and sleep, in some instances, has been limited. Now that week two is wrapping down, I can honestly say that I am settling into a routine of classes, homework, networking events, etc.  It doesn't go without saying that the first two weeks have been stressful enough already, but I love it. Being challenged is something that I've always wanted out of academia, and LSE sure does know how to do that.

As for a routine, it's important to note that for everyday of the work/school week, I'm up by 6:30/7 everyday and go to bed around 2/3. You and I can both do the math on that. It's clearly preparation for my future political campaign. Thank goodness for weekends and those occasional 10 minute naps on the tube.  Here's my class schedule:

Mondays: 
10:00-12:00 - EC455: Econometrics Lecture

14:00-15:00- EC455: Econometrics Seminar

with the option of a help-session in the evening for STATA, a statistical program 

Tuesdays:
9:00- 11:00- EC440: Microeconomics/Macroeconomics

13:00- 14:30- GV478: Political Science and Public Policy Seminar

EC440 help session in the evening

Wednesdays:
11:00- 12:00- EC440: Seminar

14:00- 17:00- MG419: Management Class

Thursdays:
Day off currently. This will be the day where I will intern the most!

Fridays:
10:00- 12:00- GV478: Political Science and Public Policy Lecture

All in all, I have a lot of free time to do work for my remote internship, read (a lot!), and go to Starbucks.  With having class in the morning, I feel accomplished by midday. It's been a bit different as I have never had class really before 9 or 10 at Syracuse with the exception of one or two classes.  The Starbucks on campus knows my order when I stroll in around 8 or 9 each morning to get a last minute review session before class each day. I've started to find my favorite areas to do work in. 

The homework load has been a lot. I expected it to be a lot, and it certainly met those expectations. We have problem sets for our main core courses with EC455 ones being graded randomly to make up a percentage of my final grade. We found the fun news today that EC440 problem sets will only be graded to provide feedback, and that the entire grade for the class will be based on the final. It's a lot to think about, but my goal will be to stay on top of everything as best as I can to save trouble come May and June when I'm studying. Back to the books, I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment