Sunday, September 16, 2012

Next Chapter Begins...

“when a man is tired of london, he is tired of life; for there is in london all that life can afford." - samuel johnson 



Tomorrow, I will board two planes as I embark on my journey. I'll head back to the city that I fell in love with in the fall of 2010.  I landed in London on August 30, 2010, and from there on out, the USA may be my country, but London became my city.

My excitement cannot be contained!! 

At the same time, I'm nervous because I will be studying at one of the most prestigious social science institutions in the world.

The London School of Economics has produced 18 Nobel Prize winners, is ranked in the top three universities in the UK, and is listed as one of the most prestigious social science institutions in the world. Not to mention, but LSE has some remarkable alumni including JFK (!!), Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, former Secretaries in the U.S. Cabinet, members of royal families from around the world, and legacies of families such as the Rockefellers. Additionally, Aaron Sorkin (#orangenation) did make President Bartlet hold a master's and a PhD from LSE in the West Wing (one of my favorite television shows ever).

Oh, and Mick Jagger is an alum as well.

But, then again, I remind myself that I got into LSE based upon my performance in and out of the classroom at Syracuse. The Maxwell School, internships, activities, travel, programs such as the DLE, and a hard-work ethic that I've had since I was young will help carry me into hopeful success in my program.

This summer has been a whirlwind of preparations. From graduating in May and saying goodbye to several friends in visits over the summer, the next chapter of my life is beginning. I know the next two years will fly by just as my four years at Syracuse were over in a blink of an eye. Taking everything in and seizing every opportunity is my plan. I've never been one to sit on the sidelines and watch. I've also never been one to sit and wait for something to come to me. I've got big plans while I'm at LSE.

I think up to this point, this blog has been a lot about my preparations for London as well as almost serving as a stepping stone from one journey to the next. Of course, this blog will continue to focus on life in London including tips for saving money, etc. Yet, this blog will also begin to focus on my courses, professional development, and travel. I'm looking forward to sharing my new experiences with you. Get ready for a wild ride!




No comments:

Post a Comment