Monday, August 13, 2012

The Best is Yet to Come...

As I put on the brand new Taylor Swift song (read: HUGE fan), I can't help but think that there are only 33 days left before I leave the country. It's weird, but in a good way. I'm sitting on my bed currently, and I can see the barn lit up. Soon, my image through the window will reflect the city that I fell in love with. A change from a small town life that I lived this summer to the bustling city that I will continue to work on achieving my dreams.

With 33 days left, the majority of my preparations are done. I've paid for my first housing payment,  and I have my visa approved and back. I've gotten a lot of miscellaneous things that I needed, ordered new glasses, said several "see you laters" after a few road trips to visit friends, and have started my master running packing list.

Left to do? Finally get new suitcases, order contacts, and finish my preparations to do math once again.

I've started to get more info on the first few weeks at LSE. The biggest news? 

KOFI ANNAN will be speaking during what is dubbed as Orientation Week. Now, I think that is just pretty awesome. It will be a ticketed event, and I will be working my hardest to get a ticket to see him! Other events have started to be added to the LSE Event Calendar including several lectures that I will hopefully be able to attend!

As for the courses, I've been spending time reviewing the list of options for my final unit during the first year. About five courses at the moment are on my list to take-some are half units which would mean an additional half unit course as well. I have to admit that I would like to take more than one or two as so many of them sound interesting. At the moment, the two half-unit courses that are looking the most interesting to me are the US Legislative course and a course around leadership in organizations.

I've also signed up for the MPA-Student Association (MPASA) buddy system. I'll be paired with a second year student to help with questions and ease the transition.

And, finally, I'm excited to announce that I will be an international contributor for the International Political Forum. I'll be sure to mention when I have an article posted. I'll also be interning virtually for the US Department of State through the Virtual Student Foreign Service program for the second year! 

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting time for you! You are going to have so much fun and learn a ton. You sound very on top of everything so hopefully you can relax and enjoy the end of summer while you count the days!

    ReplyDelete