Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Visa = Success!

Applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa was somewhat of a nightmare. It's needed to be a student in London as well as for the chance of interning while I am there. It was inevitable, but at least it is over now.

When I studied abroad in London during my junior year, I had a student visa for the limited period of time that I was there.  Syracuse was super helpful during the whole process for that. From the step-by-step guide to the whole-checking process of how it all went, #orangenation never let me down.

This time, LSE did provide guidance, but there were many times where I thought I'd get rejected. Lots of what I read in the LSE guide for international students to the UK Visa application steps to even the British Consulate website, there was no general consensus on what documents had to be sent in.  I had to send in a transcript for the courses I took at the local community college in high school and my Syracuse transcript. It proved that I was qualified, met the unconditional offer requirements by LSE, and could speak English. Being from the US, the money specifics classified me as a low-risk applicant. I still had to show that I had funds (approx. 1000 pounds sterling) for nine months. My loan letter proving my government loans worked fine for that!

Yes, I know what you may be thinking. My program lasts till June 2014, but I only had to show funds for nine months.

See what I mean about being confusing?

Nevertheless, it is done! It will arrive tomorrow (it's inside my passport)! I'm not sure I will look at the photo included on the visa (typical, horrible passport photo), but having my visa makes London so much closer.

Here's the general timetable for how long it took for me to go through the process:

  • Filled out the online paperwork and gathered materials: Week of July 5th
  • Biometrics Appointment: July 9th
  • Mailed (Overnight) to NYC: July 10th
  • Arrived in NYC: July 11th
  • E-mail Received saying that my application had been opened: July 17th
  • Visa Issued E-mail: July 24th
It followed the three weeks processing timing that was listed on the website! I'm finishing up a post about tips for applying to graduate schools abroad this week- stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. It's a nightmare isn't it? Columbia was no help at all when I was doing this and they actually tentatively rejected me because I hadn't had $20,000 in my bank account for three consecutive months! I had to send all kinds of verification of investments, student loans, my parents' paystubs and tax return and a notarized letter from my father with my birth certificate to verify he was my father and could afford to pay of couldn't. The kicker is COLUMBIA was my sponsor and had already committed via letter to pay my tuition. Such a nightmare but SO worth it for London.

    ReplyDelete